Random May

First things first: I have a new obsession. It's quite indecent, really - I have to severely ration myself or I'd likely engage in unseemly displays of devotion. Dare’s Lemon Crèmes. The mix of the sweet cookie and the smooth filling with just the right amount of lemony kick is heaven. And for the non-Canadians among us, Amazon apparently has everything.

I've read three interesting stories worthy of disability activism lately. Well, to be fair, I've read more than three, but these are the ones that kept me thinking. First, disability has apparently become an unfair advantage when it comes to participating in the Olympics. Second, in Afghanistan, an estimated 90% of suicide bombers are people with disabilities - it's a way for the useless and shamed to find some meaning. And lastly, via Disability Studies at Temple University, I found out that Disability Rights Washington performed an investigation of the "Ashley treatment" that I ranted about a couple of months ago. The report found that a number of safeguards and ethical procedures had been ignored during the process of treating Ashley and apparently, the hospital has acknowledged that they violated the law. Shall I say that again? They VIOLATED THE LAW! However, as far as I can tell, as long as they establish new procedures - and granted, some of these will be a huge improvement over what was in place not only in Seattle, but at many other hospitals - no one will be held accountable for doing something illegal. By which I mean that apparently, no one will be charged. I could rant some more, but I'm sure you can anticipate what I'd be saying.

Blinky the tree frog found a 50-year-old guide to becoming a woman, full of interesting and useful tips.

HBO has a new series/film/miniseries called "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee". Based on a book by Dee Brown, published over 30 years ago - a nonfiction book - it documents the events and years leading up to the massacre at Wounded Knee Creek. I read about this in an article in the New York Times (reg.req.), an article which talks specifically about the flourishes that evolved as the book was adapted for film (which, in my opinionated point of view means that you can no longer pretend that your adaptation is faithful to the book as seems to be indicated on the HBO web site). An HBO executive was quoted in the article as saying "[w]hen we look at historical accuracy, we look at history as it plays in the service of a narrative". Uh-huh.

Also from the New York Times, the wisdom scorecard! If you've ever wondered how wise you are, check this out.

A brilliant quote by Herman Melville: "Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed".


And lastly, I'll leave you with a link to the second-place Ukrainian entry in Eurovision 2007. I was speechless, yet compelled to bop along. Why can't we see this in North America??

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Gain and Biologics: The Battle of the Pudge

Real RA: It's Not Just About the Jar

Farber’s Disease: Could Your Child’s Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Be Misdiagnosed?