Random October

I'm in the middle of Exploding Week #2 in a row, running around like a decapitated barnyard fowl and… well. Good thing I’ve been saving stuff of miscellaneous character and can therefore provide you with a Random post, which makes it look like I’ve worked hard(ish) without actually having done so. If you came here for thoughtful commentary…. well. Today is a goofy day.

I saw this nifty thing in a cool little store down the road a bit. A global warming mug. You pour hot liquid into it and watch the continents on the outside of the mug disappear. I thought about buying it for myself, I thought it'd make a terrific Christmas present for several environmentally conscious friends and then I reconsidered. This neverending summer (26°C on October 22? In Toronto?? WTF???) is already freaking me/us out enough - facing a disappearing world over your morning hot-beverage-of-choice every single day would be a guaranteed ticket to a permanent cabin at the funny farm
.

For those of us who have ever wondered if we are a good person, here's a handy test to indicate whether certain things need attending to. Of course, some of the questions seem somewhat affected by human interpretation and… well. Is 50% enough, d’you think
?

Luckily, this helpful public service announcement gave me a way to feel better about my sinful state.

A
s usual, I’m obsessed with Dancing with the Stars and this year’s fantastic – Fringe! Falls! Faints!! Some very good dancing and several individuals worthy of the lustful thoughts that may have contributed to tripping me up in the Good Person test (as usual, Maks makes steam come off my TV, but Helio is quite something to behold, as well) and I read recaps in several places to prolong the enjoyment. Well, until I saw this comment on a message board somewhere (grammatical errors not mine): “I really like Helio, he and julianne are a good match up. Jennie Garth to, but only because the woman looks AMAZING for her age”. For her age. Jennie Garth is 35. Bleedin’ whippersnappers...

For the last few years, I’ve been rabbitting on about how the government ought to create a long weekend in the indeterminable stretch between the December holidays and Easter. Not only is it the soul-killing Toronto winter, but no long weekends? Maybe the incidence of SAD would diminish if there wasn’t this unending 3 ½ months of work and dark and cold. Just as I was getting over my touch of megalomania from last winter’s experience in controlling the weather, Ontario’s premier, Dalton McGuinty proclaims the third Monday in February Family Day. It’s nice to have an impact. I just wish, though, that he’d chosen another type of celebration. Imagine the glee at Hallmark – another holiday on which to badger the public into buying oodles of cards! But it’s my fault, really – I wasn’t specific enough when I sent the instruction into the universe. Sorry ‘bout that.


Facebook is good to me. It’s given me a place to engage in a quite undignified expression of addiction (Scrabulous is evil), but it’s also served for me to find an old friend. His latest profile picture follows and it just seemed so apropos considering the rant of a few weeks ago.

Who here remembers Firefly? And bemoans its loss? Find out which Serenity crew you are here. Me? In view of the nerd test result, perhaps it’s not surprise.

You are Dr. Simon Tam (Ship Medic)


Dr. Simon Tam (Ship Medic)
100%
Malcolm Reynolds (Captain)
75%
Kaylee Frye (Ship Mechanic)
70%
Zoe Washburne (Second-in-command)
70%
Derrial Book (Shepherd)
65%
River (Stowaway)
55%
Inara Serra (Companion)
45%
Wash (Ship Pilot)
25%
Alliance
25%
Jayne Cobb (Mercenary)
20%
A Reaver (Cannibal)
0%
Medicine and physical healing are your game,
but wooing women isn't a strong suit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Gain and Biologics: The Battle of the Pudge

Real RA: It's Not Just About the Jar

Farber’s Disease: Could Your Child’s Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Be Misdiagnosed?